• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trayanderson

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TRAYANDERSON

What is the name of your state? New York
I recently got my W2 froma place where I waited tables for the month of December, my "regular wages" were 254.00 and they mistakenly put in 2,034.00 for tips, when in actuality I only made about 1,000.00 in tips. I now owe taxes on this additional 1,034.00. This would not be a big deal but with my otherjob and my spouse's job we are in the 25% tax bracket, so I owe an additional 250.00 in taxes. I have asked them several times, but they have recently changed accountants 3 times since my W2 was filed and today and they keep telling me "don't worry" but taxes are due soon. What are my options? Is this Legal? Who is ultimately responsible?

Snipes5

If the tips you are referring to are listed on your W-2 as "allocated tips", and you have a record of how much you ACTUALLY received in tips, you can use your actual numbers instead of the allocated tips number.

Take your stuff to a tax pro and let them sort it out for you.

Also bring along the written record of your tips.

If you have no record, you have to pay tax on the tips they reported. You will have to file form 4137 to report and pay your portion of ss and medicare tax on tips.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">