• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trust taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lorenzo45

Washington State

My parents had an revocable AB trust. My father died creating an irrevocable Trust B. Assets were transferred into Trust B at a stepped up basis. If an asset is sold while in Trust B will Trust B have to pay capital gains tax?

The trust says that within 6 months a certain dollar amount should be distrubuted to the beneficiaries. If an asset is distributed to a beneficiary is it distributed at the stepped up basis value or the then current value? If the current value is higher, is there capital gains tax to pay and who pays?

Thanks

FlyingRon

Washington State

My parents had an revocable AB trust. My father died creating an irrevocable Trust B. Assets were transferred into Trust B at a stepped up basis. If an asset is sold while in Trust B will Trust B have to pay capital gains tax?
The basis is stepped up when father died.
If there was a gain over the stepped up basis, surely they do.
The trust says that within 6 months a certain dollar amount should be distrubuted to the beneficiaries. If an asset is distributed to a beneficiary is it distributed at the stepped up basis value or the then current value? If the current value is higher, is there capital gains tax to pay and who pays?
Where are these "dollars" coming from. Is there cash in the trust in addition to whatever other capital assets? If the trust sells the asset. They pay the capital gain for the difference between the sales price and the (stepped up) basis.
If the asset is distributed to the beneficiary and the beneficiary sells it to cash out. Then the beneficiary owes the capital gains tax (figured the same way)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">