• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tuition Reimbursement and Lifetime Learning Credit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beckster2001

What is the name of your state? Virginia

My employer reimburses tuition. Anything that is reimbursed over $5,250 is taxed. In 2006 my tuition totalled $11,075. I'm using Turbo Tax to do my taxes. For employer provided assistance (also listed as "tax free assistance received") I entered $5,250. This gave me $5,825 as qualifying education expenses, I believe for the Lifetime Learning Credit. Did I do this correctly?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Virginia

My employer reimburses tuition. Anything that is reimbursed over $5,250 is taxed. In 2006 my tuition totalled $11,075. I'm using Turbo Tax to do my taxes. For employer provided assistance (also listed as "tax free assistance received") I entered $5,250. This gave me $5,825 as qualifying education expenses, I believe for the Lifetime Learning Credit. Did I do this correctly?
Your qualified education expenses for the purpose of the lifetime credit, is 11075.00 minus whatever your employer gives you tax free, and minus any scholarships or grants. Therefore it sounds like 5825.00 would be correct, assuming you don't have any scholarships or grants.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">