• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Two people claim the interest on home payment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zen555

Hello,

I purchased a home several years ago with my now EX gf (we were never married) I have the statement from the bank with the interest paid and I am planning on claiming it on my tax returns. What happens if she also claims it? or is that how it is supposed to be handled? I would imagine this is an immediate flag but she is stating that she is going to regardless need some help thanks!

Zen

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello,

I purchased a home several years ago with my now EX gf (we were never married) I have the statement from the bank with the interest paid and I am planning on claiming it on my tax returns. What happens if she also claims it? or is that how it is supposed to be handled? I would imagine this is an immediate flag but she is stating that she is going to regardless need some help thanks!

Zen
Whose name is on the deed?

zen555

Its a complicated situation but over the last year ive paid 60% and she has paid 40% of the mortgage

LdiJ

Its a complicated situation but over the last year ive paid 60% and she has paid 40% of the mortgage
Then you are allowed to claim 60% of the mortgage interest and property taxes, and she is allowed to claim 40% of the mortgage interest and property taxes.

zen555

That is as i expected... she is saying she is claiming it all though... so if i claim my 60% portion and she claims all of it what is going to happen i almost am willing to just not claim it because i dont want to get in trouble

davew128

Why do you care what she does or doesn't do? You're entitled to 60% because you paid it. What she does is irrelevant to what you do.

zen555

well if i claim 60% and she claims 100% im worried that i could get in trouble.. that is why im asking and concerned about what she does...

Some Random Guy

You will clam 60% and if she claims 100% then the government will audit you on that portion of the return. You show them the records showing you paid 60% of the mortgage and interest. They say OK and leave. This is where your involvement ends.

Then they audit her and find that she only paid 40%. They then assess her penalties and interest for claiming more than she paid.

LdiJ

well if i claim 60% and she claims 100% im worried that i could get in trouble.. that is why im asking and concerned about what she does...
One thing that you need to take into consideration, is that if you are claiming only 60% its possible that the issue could be somewhat moot for you.

You won't be claiming the interest and property taxes at all unless you are better off itemizing than taking the standard deduction, and 60% of your mortgage interest and property taxes may not be enough for you to itemize.

You would still be able to get the new, additional standard deduction for property taxes (up to 500.00 if single, 1000.00 if married) but that doesn't have a huge impact on your taxes, so its not a huge risk.

However what SomeRandomGuy said is correct. You aren't the one at risk anyway, she is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">