• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

two w-2 forms, NY and CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gini2008

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New york

Hi there,

I used to live in california for all my life and just recently last year, company i work for moved me to New york branch. Now I am currently residing in New york.

Worked in California from January 2008 - May 2008
-Received w-2 form in california address.

Move to New York, and work there from May 2008 - December 2008
-Received W-2 form in California address

As I file my tax return, I noticed I get two different resolves when i choose which state to be my residence.

If i file tax return as CA resident
1) I will owe CA Tax $3000
2) I will get a NY tax refund $290
3) I will get a federal refund $2000

but if i file tax return as NY resident
1) i will owe CA tax $270
2) i will get a NY tax refund $290
3) i will get a federal refund $2000

Which one should I choose for filing as residency?
I dont want to get in trouble with IRS and get a penalty.

Appreciate your help

Thanks,
GiniWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

davew128

Which state your residence is in is wholly irrelevant to the IRS and has absolutely nothing to do with your 1040. Hire a professional as this is beyond the ability for a layperson to do themselves.

tranquility

I would file to where ever the facts and circumstances say you are a resident of.

However, I suggest you review your return preparation. While there can often be large differences in the amount of tax owed depending on the state of residence, I find it extremely unlikely to have such a large difference based on the small amount of facts you've given between residence between CA and NY.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New york

Hi there,

I used to live in california for all my life and just recently last year, company i work for moved me to New york branch. Now I am currently residing in New york.

Worked in California from January 2008 - May 2008
-Received w-2 form in california address.

Move to New York, and work there from May 2008 - December 2008
-Received W-2 form in California address

As I file my tax return, I noticed I get two different resolves when i choose which state to be my residence.

If i file tax return as CA resident
1) I will owe CA Tax $3000
2) I will get a NY tax refund $290
3) I will get a federal refund $2000

but if i file tax return as NY resident
1) i will owe CA tax $270
2) i will get a NY tax refund $290
3) i will get a federal refund $2000

Which one should I choose for filing as residency?
I dont want to get in trouble with IRS and get a penalty.

Appreciate your help

Thanks,
GiniWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You were a part year resident of CA, and a part year resident of NY. Therefore you need to file part year returns.

However, I agree with Dave, you need a tax professional to handle this for you. Its quite difficult to do part year returns correctly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">