• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployed Mother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MikeAngel

Florida

My ex is arguing that he is owed the tax credit this year (2009 tax return) because he has a job and I don't. I re-married in sept 2009 and have primary custody of our child.

LdiJ

Florida

My ex is arguing that he is owed the tax credit this year (2009 tax return) because he has a job and I don't. I re-married in sept 2009 and have primary custody of our child.
Unless your divorce decree says that he gets to claim the child, federal tax law applies. (and in fact, all the IRS cares about is federal tax law).

It doesn't matter if you are working or not. You and your husband, on your joint return, get to claim the child unless your divorce decree says differently...and again, the IRS won't go by your divorce decree. The state court judge can punish you for not obeying the divorce decree, but the IRS doesn't care.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">