• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unfiled Fed Tax Returns

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RocksInHead

What is the name of your state? WA

What are the consequences for NOT filing tax returns? For a number of years? Some years would be a refund, some would be taxes due. Is there any kind of "balancing" between the refunds and taxes due?

I know it's a stupid situation but I helped myself to a double slice of Stupid Pie. :( I just want to do something to start fixing the problem before the IRS catches up to me.

Snipes5

1) Go to your local IRS office and request printouts for all the years in question. Don't say anything else to the rep, just get the printouts. They are free.

2) Take the printouts to a reputable tax professional. Do this now, before the tax season gets busy. They won't be too happy to help you do years worth of returns in late January and February, it's too busy.

3) Let the tax pro do the returns for you and pay for it. You get what you pay for, and with that many years worth, you should pay for proper advice, not to mention the guarantee you get from most professionals.

4) When they are done, file them, and pay any balances due as quickly as possible. They won't be "averaged". But you definitely want to take care of this before the IRS figures it out.

5) Be glad you don't live in CA, they would have you for lunch, and your little dog, too.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">