• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unfiled taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stargoodman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA
If I make a settlement agreement with an IRS collection agency, can I later hire an attorney and change the agreement. I spoke with a collection rep who said if I made an agreement today and paid some money, I will avoid a 20% penalty. If I don't make the agreement today, I can make it later and the amount owed will be 20% higher. I did not make the agreement yet. I have until 7pm tonight to do so.
Thank you.

irsos

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA
If I make a settlement agreement with an IRS collection agency, can I later hire an attorney and change the agreement. I spoke with a collection rep who said if I made an agreement today and paid some money, I will avoid a 20% penalty. If I don't make the agreement today, I can make it later and the amount owed will be 20% higher. I did not make the agreement yet. I have until 7pm tonight to do so.
Thank you.
Collection rep is most likely lying to you. If the return has not been filed, have you considered seeing if filing the return would reduce the liability?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">