• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unreimbured Business Expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jipster

What is the name of your state? Conneciticut

I worked for an employer from May 1, 2004 till July 31, 2004. During that time, I incurred several thousand dollars of expense due to my job. The agreement with the company, was that they would pay the expenses. But the contract fell through and never recieved a dime, including my paychecks. I have an attorney working on this problem.

My question is, am I allowed to deduct the unreimbured business expenses that I occured with this company. If so, and how much can I deduct.

Last edited:

abezon

Based just on what you posted, you can deduct the expenses. However, there may be other facts that change that answer. The expenses are reported on Schedule C if you were a self employed contractor; form 2106/schedule A if you were an employee. If you use form 2106, the deductible amount is your total miscellaneous expenses - 2% of your AGI. Then you decide whether to itemize or claim the standard deduction.

I suggest you see a tax pro. H&R Block had a guarantee that covers up to $5,000 of taxes if they deduct expenses you weren't allowed to claim. Ask for their best 2106 preparer, not a first year person.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">