• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

US citizen legally required to pay taxes?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

onlyonelifetoli

NY:

As a born US Citizen who is employed by a Japanese corporation in the state of NY, am I legally REQUIRED to pay federal income taxes on my salary? If so, could anyone cite the law (section/code) in the Internal Revenue Code stating so?

I am under the belief that I am not defined as a "Tax-Payer" and as such, am not REQUIRED to pay income taxes on my wages. Is this accurate?

irsos

NY:

As a born US Citizen who is employed by a Japanese corporation in the state of NY, am I legally REQUIRED to pay federal income taxes on my salary? If so, could anyone cite the law (section/code) in the Internal Revenue Code stating so?

I am under the belief that I am not defined as a "Tax-Payer" and as such, am not REQUIRED to pay income taxes on my wages. Is this accurate?
Of course you are required to pay taxes on your salary. Section 61 of the Internal Revenue Code defines “gross income,” from which taxable income is calculated, as “all income from whatever source derived” and gives a number of examples of the types of income included in “gross income” in section 61, including compensation for services (i.e., wages, salaries, and other forms of earned income).

onlyonelifetoli

Am I a "taxpayer"?

I'm certain that the information is accurate, however, you have not answered the question of whether or not i'm defined as a taxpayer. If I am not considered to be a "taxpayer", then I would not be responsible to pay the taxes that a "taxpayer" must.

Thank you for your quick response, I hope you can answer the above as well...

irsos

Income tax

I'm certain that the information is accurate, however, you have not answered the question of whether or not i'm defined as a taxpayer. If I am not considered to be a "taxpayer", then I would not be responsible to pay the taxes that a "taxpayer" must.

Thank you for your quick response, I hope you can answer the above as well...
I am not going to indulge you further because I fear you are a tax protestor and will not be satisfied with any answer I give or admit that the Code says what it says. I invite you to go to http://evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html to indulge all your fantasies and see them debunked.

If you are not a tax protestor, this information should answer all your questions, and I apologize. To put it simply though, if wages and salary are defined as gross income for determination of income liability and you receive wages or salaries, you are required to pay tax. That makes you a taxpayer - whether you actually pay it or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">