• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

US Expat temporarily still working for US company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ellav

Disclaimer: I know what I'm doing is a little shady, but I don't have a means to an end in my situation just yet.

I'm "unofficially" working for a US company abroad (it's a work from home job). They require employees to live in the US, but I haven't found a job in my new country yet, and with a VPN, I've been able to work a few months with them so far without problems while I study the new language and prepare myself to get a job here.

With this new Affordable Care Act coming into play, I'm exempt from paying fees since I live abroad. I already have residency in my new country officially. My question is, how is this going to affect filing for taxes if the job I'm working for is unaware of my residency status? I know I'm risking either my job or a fine or both, but to what extent?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

LdiJ

Disclaimer: I know what I'm doing is a little shady, but I don't have a means to an end in my situation just yet.

I'm "unofficially" working for a US company abroad (it's a work from home job). They require employees to live in the US, but I haven't found a job in my new country yet, and with a VPN, I've been able to work a few months with them so far without problems while I study the new language and prepare myself to get a job here.

With this new Affordable Care Act coming into play, I'm exempt from paying fees since I live abroad. I already have residency in my new country officially. My question is, how is this going to affect filing for taxes if the job I'm working for is unaware of my residency status? I know I'm risking either my job or a fine or both, but to what extent?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon
Its irrelevant for 2013, but it will become an issue for 2014. The fines however for 2014 are fairly low.

FlyingRon

What do you mean "expat." I assume you just mean you've moved overseas while retaining US citizenship.

If you are lying to your employer, they are more than justified in firing you.
You are obviously going to have some fun and games at tax time getting the fact that you've intentionally bollixed up the withholding.
Some taxes that were inappropriately collected you may find impossible to recover.

Other than that, I can't see how it's a tax issue (fines). Of course, you'll need to consult someone in your new country about what issues you have there.

davew128

My question is, how is this going to affect filing for taxes if the job I'm working for is unaware of my residency status? I know I'm risking either my job or a fine or both, but to what extent?
Aside from the fact you're lying to your employer, I see no income tax issue here. Residing outside the US only allows you to claim the foreign earned income exclusion and foreign tax credits paid to the country you reside in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">