• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

US Savings Bonds and Estate Taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kisam1968

What is the name of your state? NJ

I am the executor of my mother's estate and have about $30,000 worth of Savings Bonds (E & EE) to cash in. I'm trying to make sure I understand where the interest gets reported. The interest going from date of issue is about $20,000. I know the total would be included in her taxable estate, but would the interest be reported on the estate income tax or on her final (2005) income tax that I file next year? I believe it would go on her final income tax, but just wanted to be sure.

Thanks.

Snipes5

If redeemed before her death, it goes on her final return.

If redeemed after her death it goes on the estate return, unless it has a joint owner, in which case the joint owner could cash it (or not), and it would go on the joint owner's return.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">