• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using funds from Roth IRA for House Purchase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

UtahSkier

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah

I have been reading up on this and I still have a few questions for my particular situation, which is this:
1). I established a Roth IRA back in 2000 from a traditional IRA CONVERSION.
2). I converted $13,000 in year 2000.
3). I have made NO further contributions/conversions to this Roth IRA.
4). The Roth IRA has more than doubled in value in the last 10 years that I've had it.
5). I am purchasing a house as a primary residence, but I currently OWN and live in a ski condo that will go back into a rental pool.
6). I originally purchased the ski condo as an investment property in 2001, and it will revert to an investment property once I buy this house and move in.

So my question is really two-fold:
1). Am I considered a first-time home buyer for the purposes of withdrawing funds from an IRA without tax/penalty? (I'm guessing not)
2). Can I withdraw $10,000 from my original CONVERSION funds without penalty whether I'm a first-time home buyer or not?

From everything I've read, it seems that I should be able to withdraw CONTRIBUTIONS up to $10,000 from a Roth IRA (even if I'm not a first-time home buyer), but I can't find any specific guidance on withdrawing funds from a traditional IRA CONVERSION.

I'm assuming that since I paid taxes on the converted funds back in 2000, then technically they should be available for me to withdraw tax-free and penalty-free.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">