• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Virginia State income tax liability for nonresident working abroad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dyingculture

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

Good afternoon,

I have a quick question about what can be done about my tax situation.

I work for a company based in Virginia. I am not a Virginia resident, I work abroad for this company, and I do not perform any work in Virginia. However, it appears that my entire salary is being counted as Virginia source income; my W-2 counts my entire salary as being Virginia income and therefore the entire amount is subject to VA tax.

I have contacted my company's tax department, requesting a corrected W-2. I have received no response whatsoever after multiple inquiries.

Bottom line: is it possible that my entire salary is subject to VA state tax, even though I am a nonresident and do not work in Virginia? And, if I cannot get a corrected W-2 from my employer, how can I fix this?

I have tried reading Virginia state tax law itself, and it is worded ambiguously. It is not clear what "Virginia source income" really is, even.

Thank you very much for your help.

Dan

davew128

It's not a matter of VA law. It's constitutional law. You're not subject to VA tax based on the due process clause.

LdiJ

It's not a matter of VA law. It's constitutional law. You're not subject to VA tax based on the due process clause.
I agree, but it may be quite difficult to get the money back from VA. The OP needs to contact HR to get the matter resolved for 2014...before the year gets much further out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">