• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

W-2 Box 14 marked HEALT

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

c627627

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KS

W-2 Box 14 marked Other has a small amount next to the word HEALT

How should this amount be treated on the 1040 form when filling out personal taxes?

FlyingRon

Sounds like an after tax health insurance payment. You can put it on your Schedule A (itemized deductions), but if it's a small value, it's probably below the threshold for counting for anything.

c627627

As I remember your health care spending has to be a significant percentage of your income to use Sched A, is that correct?

The weird thing is that it's only a couple of hundred dollars in that Box 14 marked HEALT.

For tax filing purposes, how does it affect the amount that's already in Box 1 (Wages)?

FlyingRon

Stuff in box 14 is almost always informational, you can usually ignore it.

Yes the threshold is fairly high for medical deductions so you need a lot of other uncompensated stuff going on to worry about it. Box 1 already reflects it (if it's taxable it's there, if it's not taxable, it's been deducted already). Occasionally, something that they don't take out pretax (i.e., is included in box 1 number) is deductible. You'd have to figure out what exactly it is that they're reporting there. In this case, as I said, even if it were deductible, it probably won't make any bottom line difference.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">