• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

W-4 Signature Required

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

doubletwist

North Carolina

My wife and I are salaried officers of an S-corporation. Secretary and Vice President, respectively. Our deductions were recently changed w/o our knowledge and resulted in a minor pay decrease. I did not authorize this, nor did she. We believe there is the possibility of some corporate impropriety either with our accountant or with the president of the corporation ( I am V.P.) Records are being witheld by her (president) because "She's president!" The other problem....She's my Mother-in-law! (this makes me chuckle a bit eventhough this IS a serious matter) I've contacted the Accountant firm and he has yet to get back to me. However, he stated that he is unable to print the W-4 on file, (but stated in an email that I withold 2 deductions and my wife is zero (she is also a student) and that the President should have a copy for me to peruse. Does this form (W-4) not require our signatures for a change to take effect? Need some help on many levels.

MarcoWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

pattytx

Generally speaking, yes it does, although electronic submissions ARE allowable if adequate security is provided. I'd just wait for the copies, or YOU submit another one back to what you want it to be immediately. Bottom line, it's the taxpayer's responsibility to make sure the proper amount of taxes are paid to the IRS in the end.

LdiJ

North Carolina

My wife and I are salaried officers of an S-corporation. Secretary and Vice President, respectively. Our deductions were recently changed w/o our knowledge and resulted in a minor pay decrease. I did not authorize this, nor did she. We believe there is the possibility of some corporate impropriety either with our accountant or with the president of the corporation ( I am V.P.) Records are being witheld by her (president) because "She's president!" The other problem....She's my Mother-in-law! (this makes me chuckle a bit eventhough this IS a serious matter) I've contacted the Accountant firm and he has yet to get back to me. However, he stated that he is unable to print the W-4 on file, (but stated in an email that I withold 2 deductions and my wife is zero (she is also a student) and that the President should have a copy for me to peruse. Does this form (W-4) not require our signatures for a change to take effect? Need some help on many levels.

MarcoWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
By minor pay decrease do you mean that your net has gotten a bit smaller? If so, it may be due to the fact that the economic stimulous, which caused withholding to be a little smaller (thus increase the net a little) in 2009, has now been eliminated and normal withholding has been reinstated.

swalsh411

I am not aware of any requirement for an employer to produce a copy of the W-4 currently on file at the demand on an employee. What they are required to do is promptly execute a properly completed W-4 submitted by the employee. I wouldn't spend any more of your time on a wild goose chase to track this down. If you don't believe your current withholding is correct for your situation, submit a new W-4.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">