• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

W-9 question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

philipk65

Hi, My wife had a few jobs there year as a sub. teacher. She has to take care of her own taxes. Today she received a W-9 (Request for Taxpayer I.D. number and Certification) form from the school district. What is this and would I have to fill out our taxes any different because of this I.D. number? Thanks! Kevin

LdiJ

Hi, My wife had a few jobs there year as a sub. teacher. She has to take care of her own taxes. Today she received a W-9 (Request for Taxpayer I.D. number and Certification) form from the school district. What is this and would I have to fill out our taxes any different because of this I.D. number? Thanks! Kevin
Her tax ID number is her social security number.

I still don't understand how a school district can justify treating a substitute teacher as a contractor.

Some Random Guy

I still don't understand how a school district can justify treating a substitute teacher as a contractor
Because there are teachers who sub for multiple school districts and only work occasional schedules. If I call up a licensed professional and say "I want you to work for me next tuesday, but that's all the work I have for you this month", I don't want to have to hire them as an employee.

LdiJ

Because there are teachers who sub for multiple school districts and only work occasional schedules. If I call up a licensed professional and say "I want you to work for me next tuesday, but that's all the work I have for you this month", I don't want to have to hire them as an employee.
You may not want to have to hire them as an employee, but that doesn't make them a legitimate contractor. In all of my years of doing taxes (and having family members being educators) this is the first time I have ever seen a school district hire subs as contractors.

FlyingRon

Actually, a substitute teacher in most districts work at their own convenience.
My wife was a sub. It was up to her day to day to decide if she wanted to put her self up for availability and even when she did, she could accept or refuse any assignment.

Some Random Guy

In many districts, subs get hired and paid much like day laborers hanging out in home depot parking lots. Not saying its right, but that's the way they get treated.

LdiJ

Actually, a substitute teacher in most districts work at their own convenience.
My wife was a sub. It was up to her day to day to decide if she wanted to put her self up for availability and even when she did, she could accept or refuse any assignment.
While its true that subs can accept or not accept an assignment that is not by itself a valid criteria for treating them as self employed. They do not choose their own hours, provide their own materials or choose how to conduct their work. Subs are no different than temps in a temp agency, and they are not allowed to be treated as self employed.

LdiJ

In many districts, subs get hired and paid much like day laborers hanging out in home depot parking lots. Not saying its right, but that's the way they get treated.
See my comments about temps and temp agencies above. A sub is no different. This is a client that I would be advising to file a form 8919 to force the issue.

TinkerBelleLuvr

The school year that I worked as a substitute teacher, I landed up with 7 w-2's. I was hired in thru the county, but went on the 7 school's payroll. And yes, they took out federal taxes, and medicare - not SS because school's go thru their own system, just like the federal employee's.

FYI - the poster never did state what state they were in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">