• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

W2 + self-employed (mileage deduction question)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ruddgambit

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I am a W-2 employee from M-F 9-5. (location 1) Taxable gross ~ $70,000.

I am also self-employed at two locations on the weekends. (location 2 and 3) These two locations are 400 miles apart. I drive from 2 to 3 TWICE a month = 19,200 miles per year.

The total income received from work locations 2 and 3 for 2009 is $2. (yes $2) All work done at locations 2 and 3 are strictly for my family. Basically, I volunteer legitimate professional services for a disabled family member but I cannot claim this person as a dependent.

My question is, can I deduct the standard mileage for commuting between locations 2 and 3 even if I didn't make any substantial income from this?

Thank you.

Last edited:

You have a complex set of circumstances. How did you earn the money? What did you do for it?

This is a very basic facts and circumstances issue. See your tax professional. The answer you put on the form is one thing, the REAL answer is another.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I am a W-2 employee from M-F 9-5. (location 1) Taxable gross ~ $70,000.

I am also self-employed at two locations on the weekends. (location 2 and 3) These two locations are 400 miles apart. I drive from 2 to 3 TWICE a month = 19,200 miles per year.

The total income received from work locations 2 and 3 for 2009 is $2. (yes $2) All work done at locations 2 and 3 are strictly for my family. Basically, I volunteer legitimate professional services for a disabled family member but I cannot claim this person as a dependent.

My question is, can I deduct the standard mileage for commuting between locations 2 and 3 even if I didn't make any substantial income from this?

Thank you.
If you were my client, I wouldn't agree to letting you do it. It is not work you are doing with the intention of earning money upon which to make or supplement a living.

justalayman

You are missing the point. For this to be a business expense, you have to be employed by somebody, or in your terms, contracted to perform services to somebody. Other than that, how do you justify the travel?

Unless you can support it as an actual business activity, it simply looks like a scam to get your travel as a write off.

ruddgambit

If you were my client, I wouldn't agree to letting you do it. It is not work you are doing with the intention of earning money upon which to make or supplement a living.
Thank you for your advice. I appreciate your candor.

This family member has promised me a small piece of property upon their death if I take care of him now.

ruddgambit

You are missing the point. For this to be a business expense, you have to be employed by somebody, or in your terms, contracted to perform services to somebody. Other than that, how do you justify the travel?

Unless you can support it as an actual business activity, it simply looks like a scam to get your travel as a write off.
Thanks. I definitely see your point. I would not ask if for any advice to commit tax fraud. Payment will be rendered upon death of the family member.

justalayman

I'll defer to LdiJ on if that is a practical solution but this are a few thoughts:

Unless it is contracted, I suspect it would be problematic. Even if contracted, I have my doubts especially since, if it is considered to be compensation, you would have to claim it now in some manner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">