• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wash Sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lost_Sailor16

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

I have a pretty small amount of stock in the company that I work for that I would like to sell. If I sell it now I would have around a $1200 loss. My thought was, I can sell my stock and use it to buy new windows for my house. I could then claim capitol loss for the stock sale and get the tax credit for the new windows.

As I was doing some searching I found out about the "wash sale".

The reason I have the stock is because the company I work for has an employee stock purchase plan. They take out money from all of my checks and twice a year buy stock for me in the company. The next date for purchase is December 31st. Since I probably wouldn't be able to sell it for a couple of days, and the money is already put in the account for the December purchase, would this be considered a wash sale?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">