• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

We want to pay IRS levy on deceased fathers home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ranchgirl

What is the name of your state? California

My father passed away a month ago. There is an I.R.S. has a levy against their home for unpaid taxes. We are trying to pay off the dept, but the I.R.S. will not provide us or my mother any information, they have been legaly married for 50 years.. My mom and sister are on the title of the home, along with my deceased dad. Why would they not let us make arraigments to take care of the debt. My mom is afraid that one day soon they will tell here to move out and sell the home. How can we settle this matter with the I.R.S. how do we obtain the information that is needed. Do we need a probate lawyer, tax attorney or accountant? There is no will. We do not have the money to pay the lean off in cash, but we could make payments, take a out a loan or do an offer and compromise. We want my mom to feel secure in here home and give her piece of mind.

abezon

The IRS probably needs a death certificate and a copy of the court order appointing mom as the estate's personal representative before they will talk to anyone about a deceased person's tax situation.

seniorjudge

Before you do anything, have a local title company run a title report on the land.

IRS liens must be of public record if they are to affect real estate.

The search will show that lien and whatever else is out there.

The report will also be useful when y'all go to apply for a loan.

It will also show you what you need to do to make sure the land is in the right names.

tecate

Do you know what kind of federal taxes your father owed? If they are his personal income taxes, unless he and your mother filed separate returns, the IRS should speak with your mother if they relate to a joint return. The problem may be that they will not speak with you or your sister because you are not the taxpayer.

As far as clearing title, please give us the exact vesting on title, according to the last deed or the title report, if you get one. Is it joint tenancy among all three? Why is your sister on title?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">