• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is the capital gains exemption?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dean5665

North Carolina

I am married and I want to sell $32,000 worth of property to two of my sisters. Would the capital gains exemption apply here?

anteater

No. But keep trying.

What is getting you so bent out shape about paying some capital gains tax? The max federal long term cap gains rate is 15%. Depending on what your other taxable income is, it might be as low as 5%.

And......

A gift is given without receiving consideration in return from the person receiving the gift. No quid pro quo, no "scratch your back and you scratch mine," no "not a gift per se"...... Nada.

dean5665

Well...

Just like most people, I am trying to pay as little tax as possible because my family needs as much money as we can get. I am not "bent out of shape" as you say. I am just worried about doing the right thing legally and for my family and the child my wife is expecting.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">