• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What defines a "working ranch"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BarBranch

Ranch owned since 1951 and is in California, held in family trust currently. An issue has been raised as to a possibly tax hit if the cattle lease is not renewed. Is there a requirement that income be shown to gain the 'working ranch' definition or can one just declare it?
Thank you

tranquility

I don't do agriculture/farms, but I believe the issue is if it is a hobby or a business. A cattle lease make me think more of a business, but it would only be one factor.

But, if you're having losses year after year anyway, you are going to have some problem proving up a profit motive. (Although farms seem to get away with a lot on this.)

justalayman

BarBracnh, what are you going to be doing with the ranch once the cattle are not involved? Is it even going to be used as a ranch at all? And if so, will it be operated as a business or just a hobby?

Mass_Shyster

Ranch owned since 1951 and is in California, held in family trust currently. An issue has been raised as to a possibly tax hit if the cattle lease is not renewed. Is there a requirement that income be shown to gain the 'working ranch' definition or can one just declare it?
Thank you
What type of 'possible tax hit' are you referring to? Income? Real Estate?

I know some real estate is taxed at a lower rate for agriculture.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">