• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What does the sixteenth amendment really mean?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chimalpopoca

What is the name of your state? California

I was reading up on the constitution amendments recently and I'm a bit confused on what the 16th amendment is saying. It reads:
"The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration."
Any tax experts out there that could break this down for me?

Thanks.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

"The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes,
This is the right to declare a tax due based on your income and collect it.
from whatever source derived,
Which means that it could be wages or any other form of income.
without apportionment among the several States
, and without regard to any census or enumeration."
This means the rate is based on each person individually, without being adjusted by what state you are in or the number of people in your state. This is necessary because other taxes spelled out in the unamended constitution have to be apportioned such that each state was burdened fairly.

anteater

...This means the rate is based on each person individually, without being adjusted by what state you are in or the number of people in your state. This is necessary because other taxes spelled out in the unamended constitution have to be apportioned such that each state was burdened fairly.
And, if you want to know why that is there, read Article 1 - Sections 2 & 8, if I remember corectly.

Of course, we all know that the 16th was never ratified and the income tax is one big one-hundred year old conspiracy!

:(:(:(

seniorjudge

And, if you want to know why that is there, read Article 1 - Sections 2 & 8, if I remember corectly.

Of course, we all know that the 16th was never ratified and the income tax is one big one-hundred year old conspiracy!

:(:(:(
Cool!

Hey, I am running down to my mailbox to get my refund from those scoundrels!!!:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">