• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to file as?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deedee27

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

Hi,

I was wondering if I was able to file as head of household. I married this past year. I also have a child. My spouse did not have any income last year. Can I claim my spouse as a dependent and file as head of household, or do I have to file a joint return?

Thanks for your help.

deedee27

thanks

Thank you for the quick reply. Can I ask why it's in my best interest, and what the differences in the filing statuses are?

TinkerBelleLuvr

I can pretty must assume that you lived with your husband at some point in the last half of 2008, right? If so, your ONLY two options are married, filing jointly or married, filing separately. If you go with option two, you are NOT eligible for EIC, and miriad other credit.

LdiJ

Thank you for the quick reply. Can I ask why it's in my best interest, and what the differences in the filing statuses are?
You are not eligible to file head of household, as Ginny explained to you. However, I will put it in terms that you might understand better.

If you were allowed to file head of household and claim your husband as a dependent, you would get a SMALLER refund than if you filed a married filing joint return.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">