• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what gives??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daria26

What is the name of your state? NJ
I'm filing for American citizenship and realized that I haven't filed the tax return for 2004 - the year I became a permanent resident and had no idea that it was required... I have my pay stubs from that year, can I contact the IRS and straighted this thing out before it's too late? What are my options here? Thank you for your help

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? NJ
I'm filing for American citizenship and realized that I haven't filed the tax return for 2004 - the year I became a permanent resident and had no idea that it was required... I have my pay stubs from that year, can I contact the IRS and straighted this thing out before it's too late? What are my options here? Thank you for your help
Yes, you can easily straighten it out. You really need your W2(s) for 2004 rather than your check stubs. Your employer should be able to provide that to you. If somehow you cannot get the W2 from your employer, you can ask the IRS to provide you an income transcript. You can also use an income transcript to prepare your 2004 return, in lieu of your W2s.

If you are due a refund, you will still receive the refund. If you owe additional tax, you will have some interest and penalty assessed, on top of the balance due. You might want to use a local tax professional to handle the return for you.

Otherwise, you can find 2004 IRS forms and publications at www.irs.gov.

daria26

confused

thank you so much for your advice - I do have the W2's from 2004, but does it matter that it's way past April 15th?? Do you suggest that I go to a CPA or something like HR Block? they are probably closed the tax season is over, please advise, thank you

abezon

If you're due a refund, you'll get interest. If you owe money, you'll pay a late filing penalty, late payment penalty, & interest. You didn't mention your dates in the US or visa status, but you should see a tax pro. If you're dual status in 2004, the return is very complicated for a lay person to prepare.

LdiJ

thank you so much for your advice - I do have the W2's from 2004, but does it matter that it's way past April 15th?? Do you suggest that I go to a CPA or something like HR Block? they are probably closed the tax season is over, please advise, thank you
You don't need a CPA, just an experienced tax professional. Call around to some local tax offices, you will find one that's open.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">