• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happens if you don't report a finished basement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cadburyjump

I am in Utah and am aware of a situation that I am concerned about and want to know the law on. So someone finishes a basement without obtaining a building permit, and here it is years later and the county records STILL do not show that the basement has been finished even though it very clearly has been and has added many bedrooms and much value to the property. What would happen to this individual if they got caught for this tax evasion?

LdiJ

I am in Utah and am aware of a situation that I am concerned about and want to know the law on. So someone finishes a basement without obtaining a building permit, and here it is years later and the county records STILL do not show that the basement has been finished even though it very clearly has been and has added many bedrooms and much value to the property. What would happen to this individual if they got caught for this tax evasion?

That is a very state specific, and possibly county specific question. However, in my state, not much would happen, if anything at all. Perhaps a fine and an increased valuation for property tax purposes.

However, your state and/or county might be very different.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">