• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What the HECK is this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? South carolina

I have one question. To make a long story short, my husband lost his job right after I gave birth to my second child. I came off maternity leave after 2 weeks to work, I was NOT going to lose our home. My children needed food, clothing, etc. During this time, I called up the auto company on my van I had been paying on for 2.5 years (perfect payment history) and asked them to come get it. I could no longer afford the payments. I was not behind on it, I just needed to reduce our debt.
After much talking back and forth on the amount that was left, they sent me a letter stating that they would "notify the IRS, under the Revenue Reconcilliation Act of 1993, form 1099-C, unearned income, that this debt had been cancelled". They stated that this would create a tax liability for me. Can someone please explain to me what this is? I cannot find it on the internet.

Thank you

Snipes5

Essentially, you owed a debt. The company forgave or cancelled it. Therefore, since the debt no longer exists, the portion they cancelled is considered income.

You add it to your other income on your tax return, and pay income tax on it. It isn't subject to employment taxes, however.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">