• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are possible repercussions for lying to the DMV about vehicle purchase price?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pitcherofnectar

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida, Wyoming or Wisconsin

A few days I bought a 16' sailing trimaran with a trailer and title from a guy for $2400 cash. It's in good shape and all, but I just found a forum for owners of this particular boat and dozens of others of the same age and condition are listed there for $1000-$1600, so naturally I am feeling a little stupid, and definitely like I got ripped off (even though he took $100 less than the CL listing was asking!)
Now, I know normally I would just have to eat it in this situation, but here's where it gets interesting. As we shook hands and exchanged the title, the seller suggested I tell the DMV I paid $500 to avoid some sales tax when I go to register. He insisted, and went ahead and wrote $500 on the title, which he signed and dated. He then pulls out a bill of sale, which he written, signed and dated while I had gone to the bank; but on the bill of sale that he hand wrote, he clearly put $2400 as the sale price. I have done nothing yet. What I want to do is go ask him for $900 back, and to write in a 1 between the $ and the 5 in the $500 he wrote on the title.
I'm trying to go to law school and so far have a perfectly clean (non-existent) criminal record, and I am uncomfortable about lying to the DMV. I know people lie to the DMV all the time and don't get caught, but it seems to me that it's somewhat like fishing without a license: extremely difficult or too expensive to effectively enforce, but the roper authorities would love to catch someone red-handed and throw the book at them I they could. What I want to know is what kind of punishment this guy is looking at here. I have two pieces of signed and dated evidence that he was trying to commit tax evasion, so I think I have a little bit of firepower when I go to ask him for a partial refund. Basically I want to know if it will cost him more than $900 in fines, damages, and lost time etc. if he were to be turned in by me. I really don't want to get involved with authorities at all, I just want some money back and I feel like I might have an angle here. Any thoughts??

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida, Wyoming or Wisconsin

A few days I bought a 16' sailing trimaran with a trailer and title from a guy for $2400 cash. It's in good shape and all, but I just found a forum for owners of this particular boat and dozens of others of the same age and condition are listed there for $1000-$1600, so naturally I am feeling a little stupid, and definitely like I got ripped off (even though he took $100 less than the CL listing was asking!)
Now, I know normally I would just have to eat it in this situation, but here's where it gets interesting. As we shook hands and exchanged the title, the seller suggested I tell the DMV I paid $500 to avoid some sales tax when I go to register. He insisted, and went ahead and wrote $500 on the title, which he signed and dated. He then pulls out a bill of sale, which he written, signed and dated while I had gone to the bank; but on the bill of sale that he hand wrote, he clearly put $2400 as the sale price. I have done nothing yet. What I want to do is go ask him for $900 back, and to write in a 1 between the $ and the 5 in the $500 he wrote on the title.
I'm trying to go to law school and so far have a perfectly clean (non-existent) criminal record, and I am uncomfortable about lying to the DMV. I know people lie to the DMV all the time and don't get caught, but it seems to me that it's somewhat like fishing without a license: extremely difficult or too expensive to effectively enforce, but the roper authorities would love to catch someone red-handed and throw the book at them I they could. What I want to know is what kind of punishment this guy is looking at here. I have two pieces of signed and dated evidence that he was trying to commit tax evasion, so I think I have a little bit of firepower when I go to ask him for a partial refund. Basically I want to know if it will cost him more than $900 in fines, damages, and lost time etc. if he were to be turned in by me. I really don't want to get involved with authorities at all, I just want some money back and I feel like I might have an angle here. Any thoughts??
Since he wouldn't owe any tax on the sale, its not tax evasion on his part.

You don't need to alter what he wrote on the title, you just need to fess up to what happened when you go to the DMV. Your copy of the bill of sale will back you up.

pitcherofnectar

Since he wouldn't owe any tax on the sale, its not tax evasion on his part.

You don't need to alter what he wrote on the title, you just need to fess up to what happened when you go to the DMV. Your copy of the bill of sale will back you up.
So he did nothing wrong by telling me that to skip taxes was why he wrote 500 on the title? i just want $900 back because i think its a more fair price, and i want to tell the guy i don't feel comfortable lying to the DMV when i go to ask him to make it right. i am not trying to blackmail the guy, but falsifying a gov't document must be some kind of penalty and i will definitely feel like blowing the whistle on him if he doesn't want to give me fair price. my question is, what is the penalty for lying on a title form? i know it happens all the time but i feel like its a really tough one to enforce. is he facing community service? a fine? 25 years in max security? i just want to know what he did wrong and what the punishments are

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So he did nothing wrong by telling me that to skip taxes was why he wrote 500 on the title? i just want $900 back because i think its a more fair price, and i want to tell the guy i don't feel comfortable lying to the DMV when i go to ask him to make it right. i am not trying to blackmail the guy, but falsifying a gov't document must be some kind of penalty and i will definitely feel like blowing the whistle on him if he doesn't want to give me fair price. my question is, what is the penalty for lying on a title form? i know it happens all the time but i feel like its a really tough one to enforce. is he facing community service? a fine? 25 years in max security? i just want to know what he did wrong and what the punishments are
You aren't getting $900 back simply because you failed to research your purchase BEFORE agreeing on a price.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If you want to go to law school, you need to learn about the doctrine of unclean hands. Yours are most definitely dirty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">