• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what state am I a resident of??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TWC612

I was born in and lived in Connecticut until I was 14.
My parents and I moved to Beijing, China in 1998. They still pay state taxes for Connecticut.
I graduated and moved to California in 2001, and lived there from 8/2001 until 5/2002. My driver's license is from California.
I started college in Massachusetts in 8/2002, and registered a car here last May.
Last year, I lived in Massachusetts 12 out of 12 months, and only left for a week here and there during school vacations.
But, my license is from California, and my parents, on whom I am a dependent, pay Connecticut taxes.
Which state do I pay state taxes for??

Snipes5

It is foolish for your parents to pay connecticut state taxes unless they have CT source income. If they have no CT source income, and don't live there, they are not CT residents.

You are a resident in the state in which you reside. You generally pay taxes in the state in which you either work or reside. For most people, this is the same place.

If you get pulled over, you will probably get a ticket for being a MA resident and not having an MA license.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">