• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When can I deduct Lump Alimony payment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tyandi

What is the name of your state? NC
In November 2006, there was a court order given, signed, dated and notorized that me ex wife would give me $60,000. This was the total, however I also had to pay a $20,000 lump sum. So My question is can I write this off for 2006? My attorney doesn't know.

My wife paid me the $60K in January 2007, but remember this was minus the lump alimony.

Please advise

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? NC
In November 2006, there was a court order given, signed, dated and notorized that me ex wife would give me $60,000. This was the total, however I also had to pay a $20,000 lump sum. So My question is can I write this off for 2006? My attorney doesn't know.

My wife paid me the $60K in January 2007, but remember this was minus the lump alimony.

Please advise
Ok....property settlements are not taxable events. Alimony is a taxable event to the receiver, and a tax deductible event to the payer. However, the characterization of the money is signficant in both instances.

If the 60k she gave you was from a retirement account, then it could be taxable, not because its a property settlement, but because its retirement funds. If the 20k you gave her was not specifically designated as alimony, it may be simply party of the property settlement.

tyandi

Alimony (Taxable)

Below you responded. Yes, this is alimony. Again my question is this: I know I can deduct this payment, but the question no one seems to know is wether I can deduct this for 2006 or 2007? The court order was given, stamped, signed and notorized in November 2006 in which I was ordered to pay $20,000.00 in alimony, and she was supposed to give me $80,000.00 for distributional payment. She made a payment to me In January of 2007 for $60,000.00 (minus $20K) So technically, I never had the $20K in 2007 or did I? I just need to know what year I can deduct this? My paralegal "thinks" because the court ordered this and was final in Nov. 2006, I can claim this for 2006? I just want to make sure. I would love to claim $20K as a deduction for 2006!!!!!

If the 60k she gave you was from a retirement account, then it could be taxable, not because its a property settlement, but because its retirement funds. If the 20k you gave her was not specifically designated as alimony, it may be simply party of the property settlement.

tranquility

I'm not giving an opinion about if the payment is deductible. I suggest that with a payment this large you bring your documentation to a tax professional who will help you determine the deduction.

However, you are a cash-basis taxpayer. Income or deductions are reportable only in the year paid or received--not when the income or liability are accrued. I believe that alimony/support payments are treated on a cash basis even if the taxpayer is on accurral accounting method.

2007 it is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">