• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

who can you claim as a dependant?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NotSoNew

What is the name of your state? NJ

can my parents claim my brothers friend who has lived with them this year? his own parents are not going to claim him and he lived with my parents the whole year? are they allowed since he is not related to them?

LdiJ

NotSoNew said:
What is the name of your state? NJ

can my parents claim my brothers friend who has lived with them this year? his own parents are not going to claim him and he lived with my parents the whole year? are they allowed since he is not related to them?
If he lived with them for the entire year, and he had less than 3200.00 in income then yes, they can claim him as a dependent.

However, if he did not live with them the entire year and/or he had more than 3200 in income, then no they cannot. However the dependency exemption is all that they can get. No child tax credit or EIC would apply.

NotSoNew

LdiJ said:
If he lived with them for the entire year, and he had less than 3200.00 in income then yes, they can claim him as a dependent.

However, if he did not live with them the entire year and/or he had more than 3200 in income, then no they cannot. However the dependency exemption is all that they can get. No child tax credit or EIC would apply.
thanks LdiJ, i forgot to mention that he is 20 years old, does that make a difference? If he made over 3200 and is filing his own taxes but doesnt claim HIMSELF on his own taxes (and checks off that someone else can claim him) then could they claim him or no still?

LdiJ

NotSoNew said:
thanks LdiJ, i forgot to mention that he is 20 years old, does that make a difference? If he made over 3200 and is filing his own taxes but doesnt claim HIMSELF on his own taxes (and checks off that someone else can claim him) then could they claim him or no still?
No, if he made more than 3200 they can't claim him.

NotSoNew

LdiJ said:
No, if he made more than 3200 they can't claim him.
ok thanks, does the same hold true for my brother? their son? he made 28K but they are claiming him on their taxes (he lived there the whole year and went to school) he just isnt claiming himself on his own taxes. are they allowed to do this? i did their tax stuff on turbo tax (i know you arent too fond of this program) and it didnt say they werent allowed to claim him! (i didnt file them yet)

LdiJ

NotSoNew said:
ok thanks, does the same hold true for my brother? their son? he made 28K but they are claiming him on their taxes (he lived there the whole year and went to school) he just isnt claiming himself on his own taxes. are they allowed to do this? i did their tax stuff on turbo tax (i know you arent too fond of this program) and it didnt say they werent allowed to claim him! (i didnt file them yet)
It would be a big mistake for them to claim your brother. He simply made too much money. The rule on claiming adult children (your own children) is that they also can't be contributing more than 50% of their own support. Clearly, if your brother is making 28k, he is absolutely providing more than 50% of his own support. He should be claiming himself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">