• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

who pays tax on gift

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bilbo67

What is the name of your state? massachusetts
over the course of a year i've recieved cash gifts from my mother over $11000 dollars. $18000 to be exact. how is the extra $7000 treated tax wise. do i treat it as income?

anteater

bilbo67 said:
What is the name of your state? massachusetts
over the course of a year i've recieved cash gifts from my mother over $11000 dollars. $18000 to be exact. how is the extra $7000 treated tax wise. do i treat it as income?
No, you are in the clear. But, mother should file a gift tax return for the $7K. While she is obligated to file that return, it is unlikely that any actual gift tax will be owed due to the $1M lifetime credit.

dallas702

But don't sell anything you bought with that gifted cash because they might want you to claim it as income or profit. ;)

abezon

dallas702 said:
But don't sell anything you bought with that gifted cash because they might want you to claim it as income or profit. ;)
What are you smoking? Only income is taxed, and the income from a sale of an asset is the difference between what you paid for it & what it cost you. If you use gifted funds to buy stocks & later sell them for a profit, only the profit is taxable income. The fact that the original purchase was with gifted cash is irrelevant.

anteater

But don't sell anything you bought with that gifted cash because they might want you to claim it as income or profit.
abezon said:
What are you smoking? Only income is taxed, and the income from a sale of an asset is the difference between what you paid for it & what it cost you. If you use gifted funds to buy stocks & later sell them for a profit, only the profit is taxable income. The fact that the original purchase was with gifted cash is irrelevant.
You have to understand the context. We're all just sheep and the IRS is our sheep dog.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=283843

:cool: Baaaaah.....Baaaaah :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">