• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

why should i pay my husbands back taxe's

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

goingbonkers

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?i've been married for 8 years my husband owes back taxe's from a previous marriage he claims it was paid back i even gave him money towards it i have not got and federal back for 8 years but i did get some back in 2003 as for 2004 i didn't get noughting again and when i called the IRS they would not give me any information on what he owes :mad: we always file together but this year i thought about filing married but single because i do not want to pay for his back taxe's im tired of this its not right.

i punch a clock 6 days a week and my taxe's are taking out my husband works for him self and does not pay his taxe's quartley so agian when we do file together they take that part out of my taxes's too what in the world am i going to do? before i got married i always did my taxe's by the first of febuary and Ron waits till the two day dead line could someone give me some help on this

thanks
rhonda myrtle beach south carolina

LdiJ

goingbonkers said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?i've been married for 8 years my husband owes back taxe's from a previous marriage he claims it was paid back i even gave him money towards it i have not got and federal back for 8 years but i did get some back in 2003 as for 2004 i didn't get noughting again and when i called the IRS they would not give me any information on what he owes :mad: we always file together but this year i thought about filing married but single because i do not want to pay for his back taxe's im tired of this its not right.

i punch a clock 6 days a week and my taxe's are taking out my husband works for him self and does not pay his taxe's quartley so agian when we do file together they take that part out of my taxes's too what in the world am i going to do? before i got married i always did my taxe's by the first of febuary and Ron waits till the two day dead line could someone give me some help on this

thanks
rhonda myrtle beach south carolina
It sounds to me like you are dealing with two different issues. Your husband's past taxes have obviously been dealt with. It appears that your ongoing problem is current taxes.

Once people marry they are no longer taxed invidually (if they file together) they are taxed as a unit...a couple. Any withholding or estimated taxes goes to the entire tax burden. However, in the end your family is still going to be paying the same amount of taxes. Whether the money comes from your withholding or comes from money that your husband pays in estimated taxes...its basically the same.

Yes, its possible to file separately, but 99 times out of 100 it will mean that between the two of you, you end up paying MORE taxes if you file separately.

If you and your husband keep your money separately, then you need to negotiate with your husband regarding a fair division of the tax burden.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">