• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will I Get Audited?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas.

I am not sure what Federal Tax year this was but I think it was filed for 2006 or 2007.

We have the Residential Energy Tax credit and I put the Tide cold water detergent as saving energy to get tax credits and I think I got extra $20 for this refund. Tide's website said it was a energy saving product. I have done research on the IRS's page but I was not clear if this product would truly qualify.

I used the H & R Block free file. H & R does a error check before sending. The IRS Federal file was accpeted and I got my refund. Is there a chance I would be audited or can get in any trouble? I don't owe any penalty nor any taxes to the IRS as of today.

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas.

I am not sure what Federal Tax year this was but I think it was filed for 2006 or 2007.

We have the Residential Energy Tax credit and I put the Tide cold water detergent as saving energy to get tax credits and I think I got extra $20 for this refund. Tide's website said it was a energy saving product. I have done research on the IRS's page but I was not clear if this product would truly qualify.

I used the H & R Block free file. H & R does a error check before sending. The IRS Federal file was accpeted and I got my refund. Is there a chance I would be audited or can get in any trouble? I don't owe any penalty nor any taxes to the IRS as of today.
Buying Tide detergent absolutely did NOT qualify you for an energy savings credit...in fact I am quite certain that any online software wouldn't have given you the option to do that, unless you catagorized it falsely.

However, a 20.00 credit also isn't going to trigger an audit either.

Don't be that foolish in the future. 20.00 may not trigger an audit but larger dollars certainly could. Just because you can manipulate something on online software and have it "pass" doesn't mean it won't seriously bite you in the butt later. That one won't, because its simply to small to matter, but if you were to get audited for some other reason (ie simply winning the audit lottery) and that was discovered, the IRS agent would look you over with a fine tooth comb.

Buying Tide detergent absolutely did NOT qualify you for an energy savings credit...in fact I am quite certain that any online software wouldn't have given you the option to do that, unless you catagorized it falsely.

However, a 20.00 credit also isn't going to trigger an audit either.

Don't be that foolish in the future. 20.00 may not trigger an audit but larger dollars certainly could. Just because you can manipulate something on online software and have it "pass" doesn't mean it won't seriously bite you in the butt later. That one won't, because its simply to small to matter, but if you were to get audited for some other reason (ie simply winning the audit lottery) and that was discovered, the IRS agent would look you over with a fine tooth comb.
What I meant by $20 is that I got a extra $20 added on top of my refund I was getting that year. Well the thing is that that the Tide Cold Water detergent was a energy saver so I elected to use it. So what was the worse that could have happened? Would this be a criminal charge?

FS-2006-14, Jan. 2006

During 2006, individuals can make energy-conscious purchases that will provide tax benefits when filling out their tax returns next year. The new law provides tax credits for making your principal residence, which must be in the United States, more energy efficient and for buying certain energy efficient items.

Highlights of the Energy Policy Act of 2005 for Individuals

Help me out here. Max credit shows $500. Does this mean I could have got extra $500 refund check?

anteater

Well, LdiJ, I think you will have a good story for the office tomorrow.

Why can't I think of these things?

LdiJ

FS-2006-14, Jan. 2006

During 2006, individuals can make energy-conscious purchases that will provide tax benefits when filling out their tax returns next year. The new law provides tax credits for making your principal residence, which must be in the United States, more energy efficient and for buying certain energy efficient items.

Highlights of the Energy Policy Act of 2005 for Individuals

Help me out here. Max credit shows $500. Does this mean I could have got extra $500 refund check?
The energy savings credits for those years had to do with people purchasing new windows, exterior doors, furnaces or hot water heaters that were more energy efficient. The allowable credit depended on what allowable items you purchased, with a max 500.00 credit.

No, you won't get criminally charged for getting a 20.00 credit that you weren't entitled to receive...and again, you had to seriously manipulate the online software to get that 20.00 credit, because you obviously didn't purchase any of the allowable items.

You are a good example of someone who has no business using online software to file their tax return because you obviously aren't studying the tax law before doing so and obviously are not answering questions correctly on a question and answer format.

Again, you aren't likely to get dinged for that one, but I wouldn't recommend that you continue to file your own taxes online unless you seriously wise up about reading the instructions ahead of time and not play games about answering the question and answer formats.

Proserpina

The energy savings credits for those years had to do with people purchasing new windows, exterior doors, furnaces or hot water heaters that were more energy efficient. The allowable credit depended on what allowable items you purchased, with a max 500.00 credit.

No, you won't get criminally charged for getting a 20.00 credit that you weren't entitled to receive...and again, you had to seriously manipulate the online software to get that 20.00 credit, because you obviously didn't purchase any of the allowable items.

You are a good example of someone who has no business using online software to file their tax return because you obviously aren't studying the tax law before doing so and obviously are not answering questions correctly on a question and answer format.

Again, you aren't likely to get dinged for that one, but I wouldn't recommend that you continue to file your own taxes online unless you seriously wise up about reading the instructions ahead of time and not play games about answering the question and answer formats.

(very respectfully, L, I think you're being taken for a ride here)

I have been using H&R Block online software since 1999. This was my only concern. I am doing everything else correctly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">