• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will I get my income money?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mom0810

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My 2011 return was garnished (I am guessing that this is the right term for it) for unpaid student loans. It wasn't a lot that was taken. My return was only $1,000. Department of Education sent me a letter that year telling me that they were taking it before I filed and again after I filed telling me that they took it. I haven't received any such letter this time. I am just wondering if they can take it without sending that letter. I have already filed.

Can't change the title to Income tax return. Haha. I feel really ridiculous about the title.

Proserpina, I can't quote your reply. I wanted to say thank you that is what I wanted to know.
Banned Princess, I still owe on it so I guess they will be taking it. Thank you for the reply.

Last edited:

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My 2011 return was garnished (I am guessing that this is the right term for it) for unpaid student loans. It wasn't a lot that was taken. My return was only $1,000. Department of Education sent me a letter that year telling me that they were taking it before I filed and again after I filed telling me that they took it. I haven't received any such letter this time. I am just wondering if they can take it without sending that letter. I have already filed.

The original letter is all they need - that's your notification.

Proserpina

(In other words, they've already given you legal notice. You can expect them to take your tax refunds until the loan is paid off)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">