• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will IRS Take Balance Out of Refund?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Daddy's Girl

What is the name of your state?Washington

I have just done my taxes for '02,'03', 04, and estimated '05. I am getting refunds for the first two years, but owe for the last two. Can the IRS automatically take out what I owe from my refund and send me the difference? If so, should I send in the forms all in one envelope with a letter (to which address; Fresno,CA or San Francisco, CA?) or should I send them in all separate envelopes with a letter in each?

Thanks.

Snipes5

First of all, that is only three tax returns, not four. Estimated payments go to a different PO Box in San Francisco. Send them separately to the designated address.

File first the one that you owe on. In its own envelope, to the proper address, or efile if it's the '04 return. If you don't send money with it, they will send you a bill.

Four weeks after you file that return, file the other two, which are refunds, separately, in their own envelopes, to the proper address.

If they send you the refunds, cash them and use the money to pay what you owe. If they don't send you the refunds, that means they will apply them to your debt. They will send you a letter if you do this.

Yes, this is complicated and takes a while, but it is the most efficient way to handle the situation.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">