• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Withdrawal from 401K

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jinuj

I work for a US corporation. If I leave the company in January, do not take up a job for the rest of the year and decide to cash out the monies in 401K will I be taxed for the amount upfront or will it just be added to the annual income for 2002 filing? I understand that there will be the penalty for early withdrawal(10%). If the 401K amount gets added to the annual income, I might not pay much tax since the annual income becomes just the 401K amount + January salary.

ShyCat

The 401(k) administrator will withhold 20% of your withdrawal for Federal income tax. When you file your 2002 tax return, the entire withdrawal amount will taxable income. The 10% penalty will be added to your total tax liability. Subtract the withheld amount (same as payroll withholding) and you either owe or receive a refund.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">