• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Working in multiple states and cities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bluegill_22

What is the name of your state? Home State Ohio
I work for a Cable company in southern Ohio. The systems go into Kentucky,So sometimes I have to work in 2 states. The Company started this paycheck,taking out 3 different city taxes, 2 in Ohio and 1 in KY,They failed to withold any state taxes at all.All of the techs out this office were the same way.we're all worried that each home state we'll end up having to pay in at the end of the year and possibly oweing the 2nd state as well:confused:How can we be charged a tax in 1 state and multiple cities (2 states) and not be charged for the 2nd state?

Last edited:

Snipes5

As for the cities, it depends on what their tax rules say. In some, you are taxed if you work there. In others, you are only taxed if you live there.

I suspect you won't be required to have withholding in all those places at once. Please see an Enrolled Agent in your area to find out exactly what is required. You can then go to your employer with the information, and get it straightened out.

Often, neighboring states have agreements whereby if you pay tax in one state, you don't have to pay in the neighboring one, regardless of whether you work in one or live in the other.

Snipes

abezon

The company can withhold taxes for multiple states, as long as it keeps track of what income is earned in each state. For example, if you earn $40,000 total, with $15k in OH & $25k in KY, you should have a W-2 that shows $40k in box 1 (federal wages), & $15 for OH wages & $25k for KY wages. Same thing goes for city taxes. You should definitely go to a professional preparer for help straightening out the multiple returns. Be sure you keep track of how much money you earn in each place so you can double check the W-2s each year.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">