• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

would my spouse have to declair my inherritance on his tax return?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon-My grandfather died on March 19 2011. My father is in charge of the estate, and estate issues are not settled yet. No one in my family has said anything to me regarding my inheriting anything from the estate, and I have not asked.
My husband is aware of my grandfather's death, and this morning asked how much I had inherited because he was finishing-up his individual 2010 tax return, and needed to know amount so he could declare it on his taxes. We are not filing a joint return for 2010.
We do not have any joint accounts, and I always thought inheritance was considered separate property anyway,unless it was coveted into marital assets. Also since my grandfather died in 2011, how could any inheritance be declared on a 2010 tax return? And why would my husband need to declare it on his taxes anyway?

ecmst12

Sounds like your husband is being nosy; even if this WAS an issue, even if it was taxable, the tax would be due in the year the funds are recieved.

Are you contemplating or in the process of getting divorced?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon-My grandfather died on March 19 2011. My father is in charge of the estate, and estate issues are not settled yet. No one in my family has said anything to me regarding my inheriting anything from the estate, and I have not asked.
My husband is aware of my grandfather's death, and this morning asked how much I had inherited because he was finishing-up his individual 2010 tax return, and needed to know amount so he could declare it on his taxes. We are not filing a joint return for 2010.
We do not have any joint accounts, and I always thought inheritance was considered separate property anyway,unless it was coveted into marital assets. Also since my grandfather died in 2011, how could any inheritance be declared on a 2010 tax return? And why would my husband need to declare it on his taxes anyway?
Some of the answers you were previously given were not entirely accurate.

An inheritance CAN result in taxable events. Anything that would have been taxable to the deceased would also be taxable to the deceased's heirs.

However again, anything taxable would be taxable in the year received, therefore it would be irrelevant for 2010 taxes.

If it were taxable in some way it would be taxable to the heir, not the heir's husband who is filing a separate return. Therefore I agree with whoever it was who said that your husband was just being nosy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">