• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Writ of Garnishment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rizer

What is the name of your state? Florida

I will spare you the long details of how I have arrived at this point but I am here. Today I received a Writ of Garnishment from the State of AL (unpaid income taxes from 1995). I contacted the state and they said that the information for garnishment was sent to my bank and they (state of AL) could not do anything until the Bank received the garnishment and took what funds are in my checking account out. The lady that I spoke with at the State of AL said that this was a one time garnishment - whatever funds are there on the day of the garnishment are what they take. This amount will not cover the entire amount due. After they garnish the account I am to call them and set up some type of payment arrangements. My question is do I continue with my normal banking and pay bills until the garnishment is done or do I leave the money that is in there alone. How long will it take for me to be able to use my checking account again. My paychecks are direct deposited and its my only income. Thanks for any help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">