• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Writing off computer programming for charity?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

neveroddoreven

I would like to develop some computer software for a 501(c)3 charity cause, and take a tax deduction for it. I read some articles online that said individuals can't take a deduction for time donated, but could deduct for merchandise/cash donated.

Would it be reasonable to produce a new software application for a charity, donate the software and the rights to its code/intellectual property to that charity, and take a deduction on the fair market value for the software application itself? If so, how might I go about setting a value on a custom software application?

I haven't started the work or selected a charity yet, so if this idea is plausible, I'd gladly accept any tips on keeping records and following rules.

Generally, the time you contribute to charity is not deductible. However, there is some case law out there that a product developed can be donated. (A trust made by an attorney, a furniture cabinet.) You have a difficult number problem. How much is the software worth? Did you create a salable product? I'd see a good tax guy who can review your facts with the deduction in mind. Many have tried what you want and many, less a couple, have failed. You need to be very careful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">