• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Writing off real estate gifts to sellers or buyers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stephanie76

I'm a Realtor from Washington state and I have a question regarding gifts for buyers and sellers at closing. I understand that a real estate agent may give a one-time gift of $25 per person (annually) at closing and become a tax write-off. However, in order to stay competitive, I need to offer more than just a $25 gift to my clients! I would like to give thoughtful gift baskets, flower arrangements, gift certificates or paying for their $250 home warranty and be able to deduct the business expense. Today I was in a class and the tax attorney said that if we give promotional logo'd gifts to my clients instead of a gift certificate, we can write them off. I'm sorry, but giving my seller a cheesey umbrella with my logo on it is not something I would feel good about giving! How can I give a gift tailored to an individual's tastes and write it off? Which "category" would it go in? Help! I will be closing my first sale in 2 weeks and want to get my seller a fabulous thank you gift! Thanks! -Stephanie

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">