• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong marital & exemption status listed on LTD benefit payment stub

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

missingmom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
My husband has received 3 disability benefit payments from MetLife LTD this year. He submitted a W-4S form to have Federal taxes withheld and the tax was withheld from his most recent payment. On the payment stub, they listed his marital status as single and 1 exemption instead of married and 2 exemptions. They know that he is married and he told them 2 exemptions when he filed for the benefits. Does this need to be changed or does it matter? We have always filed jointly for the 30 years we have been married and intend to do so next year when we file the 2014 tax return. I would call or fax MetLife and ask them to change this but phone calls and faxes to them don't always result in the needed corrections so we would just as soon let it go if it doesn't matter. We will be filing jointly again next year if my husband is still alive. The amount he requested to be withheld is a flat dollar amount not based on his marital status anyway.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
My husband has received 3 disability benefit payments from MetLife LTD this year. He submitted a W-4S form to have Federal taxes withheld and the tax was withheld from his most recent payment. On the payment stub, they listed his marital status as single and 1 exemption instead of married and 2 exemptions. They know that he is married and he told them 2 exemptions when he filed for the benefits. Does this need to be changed or does it matter? We have always filed jointly for the 30 years we have been married and intend to do so next year when we file the 2014 tax return. I would call or fax MetLife and ask them to change this but phone calls and faxes to them don't always result in the needed corrections so we would just as soon let it go if it doesn't matter. We will be filing jointly again next year if my husband is still alive. The amount he requested to be withheld is a flat dollar amount not based on his marital status anyway.
Your withholding is merely a deposit towards your taxes. Therefore the fact that you will be filing jointly is irrelevant to the fact that his paystub shows single with 1 exemption. What that means is that a little more is being withheld than he originally intended. It will all even out when the tax return is filed.

missingmom

Your withholding is merely a deposit towards your taxes. Therefore the fact that you will be filing jointly is irrelevant to the fact that his paystub shows single with 1 exemption. What that means is that a little more is being withheld than he originally intended. It will all even out when the tax return is filed.
Thank you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">