• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Youtube Tax

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Youtuber

Hi guys, I have a tax question regarding youtube.
I recently started a youtube channel and I would like to know if I have to pay taxes in the US?

I will give you the full story. I have a gaming channel, so I am partnered with a Multi Channel Network (MCN). I earn money with advertisements on my videos. Youtube pays that MCN, that MCN takes their cut and then they pay me. That MCN is based in the USA, I am not. (I am not a US citizen) I live in a tax free country. I signed an W-8BEN when I joined that MCN and they consider me as an independent contractor. When I get paid, that MCN does not withhold tax and I earn more than 600 USD per year.

I did a lot of research already but I can’t find a decent answer. Some websites claim that I have to pay tax, others don’t. I went through those tax guides that the IRS has but I don’t have the expertise to understand everything in the same way as you guys do. I tried to give as many details as I can but if you want to know more just let me know. I understand that this forum is for US tax only, but that is what my question is about. Does the US tax law require me to pay taxes?

I really hope that you guys will be able to help!

LdiJ

Hi guys, I have a tax question regarding youtube.
I recently started a youtube channel and I would like to know if I have to pay taxes in the US?

I will give you the full story. I have a gaming channel, so I am partnered with a Multi Channel Network (MCN). I earn money with advertisements on my videos. Youtube pays that MCN, that MCN takes their cut and then they pay me. That MCN is based in the USA, I am not. (I am not a US citizen) I live in a tax free country. I signed an W-8BEN when I joined that MCN and they consider me as an independent contractor. When I get paid, that MCN does not withhold tax and I earn more than 600 USD per year.

I did a lot of research already but I can’t find a decent answer. Some websites claim that I have to pay tax, others don’t. I went through those tax guides that the IRS has but I don’t have the expertise to understand everything in the same way as you guys do. I tried to give as many details as I can but if you want to know more just let me know. I understand that this forum is for US tax only, but that is what my question is about. Does the US tax law require me to pay taxes?

I really hope that you guys will be able to help!
I do not believe that you would be subject to US income tax. Even though your "product" is going through a US distributor its still not a US source product. The US makes its tax on the portion earned by MCN.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">