• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 owners in LLC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmysoul

MD

if I create an LLC, under my name, and make my brother 99% owner, does this give him 99% ownership of assets, money in that LLC bank accounts etc? I ask this if in case of couples separation, one wants to protect its asset

Do we need to write up an agreement for that?

adjusterjack

if I create an LLC, under my name, and make my brother 99% owner, does this give him 99% ownership of assets, money in that LLC bank accounts etc?
Yes.

I ask this if in case of couples separation, one wants to protect its asset
You protect your assets by not getting into that foolish arrangement in the first place.

Yes.

Get a lawyer to do it properly to protect your interests.

doucar

If your brother owns 99% of the LLC, if he were to get divorced, his ex wife could potentially own 49.5% of the LLC as the LLC would be an asset of the marriage. If you were to divorce, your ex would own .5% of the LLC.

jimmysoul

If your brother owns 99% of the LLC, if he were to get divorced, his ex wife could potentially own 49.5% of the LLC as the LLC would be an asset of the marriage. If you were to divorce, your ex would own .5% of the LLC.
Got it, thanks

zddoodah

if I create an LLC, under my name, and make my brother 99% owner
If your brother is "99% owner," what does "create an LLC[] under my name" mean?

does this give him 99% ownership of assets, money in that LLC bank accounts etc?
No. It gives him 99% ownership in the LLC, with the LLC owning assets titled in its name.

I ask this if in case of couples separation, one wants to protect its asset
Huh?

An agreement for what?

Before you consider doing something you clearly know nothing about, you really ought to confer with local legal counsel.

adjusterjack

Explains why he wants to give his brother 99% of the business. He's a furriner and wants his brother to pay the taxes while he gets cash under the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">