• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I responsible for storage unit cost during a writ of execution?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I can ask another attorney and probably get a different answer. My Attorney does not specialize in this kind of thing.
You need an attorney who knows then...there really is nothing more we can help with.

doucar

My Attorney does not specialize in this kind of thing.
What makes you think than anyone on this site, let alone the few of us who are attorneys, but not licensed in Utah, are specialized in this kind of thing?

adjusterjack

Secondly, the constable has placed a new lock, tape and a sign saying its a felony to break that lock and to take any of that stuff.
That's about the third time you said that but you didn't say it before I made my comment. What you did say was "I don't think anyone is allowed in that storage unit until the courts resolve the issue."

"I don't think" is not the same as "I know."

I can ask another attorney and probably get a different answer. My Attorney does not specialize in this kind of thing.
If you asked an attorney that did specialize in this kind of thing you would be more likely to get the right answer.

Think about this. Once your court case is over and the sheriff is allowed to levy the contents and sell them, what do you think the sheriff will do about the unpaid storage charges? I think that the storage company lien has priority over your writ and that the sheriff will deduct the storage fees from your proceeds and pay the storage company first.

That's what I think. Maybe I'm wrong. Shouldn't you find out for sure. Perhaps ask the sheriff who has probably faced the same situation many times before.

Eekamouse

I don't get it. Was this storage unit part of some crime? Or did the renter of the unit commit a crime and is in jail because of it? Why would the police put their own lock on the unit and tell everyone to stay out of it? That's just silly. If it's a crime scene, sure, the cops might tape it off for a bit while they do whatever needs to be done to document the scene but they aren't going to keep the unit locked up indefinitely. The storage facility is going to get first crack at auctioning off the unit unless the renter pays up the rent for the unit before the auction. They certainly won't be handing over the unit to someone who is not on the contract just because the renter owes that person a debt. The storage facility will not care at all about whatever you've got going on against the renter and you will have no rights to the contents of said unit. It's not in your name. Even if a ton of the stuff in the unit belongs to you, you won't be entitled to retrieve any of it. You were the one who stupidly put your things in a storage unit you didn't rent. As far as the facility is concerned, everything in the unit belongs to the person who rented it from them. So good luck with whatever you think you have going on here. I doubt it'll turn out in your favor in the end. By the way, even if you DO pay the rent on the unit current, you won't be getting into the unit unless you have a key to it. The facility won't let you in. Only the person who rented it from them can do that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">