• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Anyone know the rules about replying to old threads on here?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rockerfox

Cause i know some sites like a site called City Data seem to allow to reply to some threads that are old, but i not really sure how old a thread is here before it becomes off limits?

Just Blue

Cause i know some sites like a site called City Data seem to allow to reply to some threads that are old, but i not really sure how old a thread is here before it becomes off limits?
We prefer that you don't reply to threads that the original poster hasn't posted to in over a month/6 weeks. There is a "new posts" button...just click on that and the newer threads will pull up.

quincy

Threads are kept open so the original poster can return at a later time with updates or to ask additional questions. On this forum, generally a poster’s legal question is answered quickly and the poster’s legal issues are resolved shortly thereafter.

Threads are in the archives for reference purposes only.

LdiJ

If there has been no activity on a thread after a few weeks then there really isn't any point in responding.

FarmerJ

rockerfox When a original poster comes back and does a update its really nice of them so not only do those who replied get to see the original posters results but newer users as well. Sadly though many never do a so called update as to results either desired or something else.

PayrollHRGuy

If there is a message like this...

Thread Status: Hello rockerfox, There was no answer in this thread for more than 180 days.
We highly recommend creating a new thread as old threads are often ignored.

...don't post to the thread unless you are the original poster and would like to update your post.

quincy

If there is a message like this...

Thread Status: Hello rockerfox, There was no answer in this thread for more than 180 days.
We highly recommend creating a new thread as old threads are often ignored.

...don't post to the thread unless you are the original poster and would like to update your post.
I agree that the “thread status” of 180 days indicates that anyone other than the original poster should not add a post to the thread - but I have to disagree with the wording of the message.

Posts added to old threads are not really ignored.” :)

Posts added to old threads are reported to the moderator for review and eventual removal so that the old thread can be returned to the archives where it belongs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">