• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

att said my trade-in iphone 7 is damaged

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quantcook

What is the name of your state? Maryland
I traded in my mint condition iphone 7 ( i bought it from auction in Jan this year, which was still sealed in box, not activated yet ) in March this year for galaxy s22 for $800 credit.
I mailed it using ATT's prepaid UPS shipping label and box and still not getting my credit yet.
I chatted with Att last month and they said I will get all catch up credit in July, but this month's bill still has not credit.
I chatted with att just now, the first representative said they received it, it's still in warehouse waiting for inspection. after transfer to her manager, the managed said it's damaged.
I mailed it brand new, how can they say it's damanged.
I searched online and some ex-att employee said the third party vendor who does the inspection sometimes see a mint condition phone and mark it damaged purposely so that they can sell it for a profit.
what shall I do now? I have filed complaint with attorney general in IL ( IL is the address on page 1 of my monthly bill ) and BBB.org.
what else can I do? can I sue ATT?
this is making people less trust in this business, what can we consumer do in the future for trade in, we have to physically carry the phone to att store and drop there and video taping everything to make sure it's still good condition when giving to att?

Last edited:

quincy

What is the name of your state?
I traded in my mint condition iphone 7 ( i bought it from auction in Jan this year, which was still sealed in box, not activated yet ) in March this year for galaxy s22 for $800 credit.
I mailed it using ATT's prepaid UPS shipping label and box and still not getting my credit yet.
I chatted with Att last month and they said I will get all catch up credit in July, but this month's bill still has not credit.
I chatted with att just now, the first representative said they received it, it's still in warehouse waiting for inspection. after transfer to her manager, the managed said it's damaged.
I searched online and some ex-att employee said the third party vendor who does the inspection sometimes see a mint condition phone and mark it damaged purposely so that they can sell it for a profit.
what shall I do now? I have filed complaint with attorney general in IL ( IL is the address on page 1 of my monthly bill ) and BBB.org.
this is making people less trust in this business, what can we consumer do in the future for trade in, we have to physically carry the phone to att store and drop there and video taping everything to make sure it's still good condition when giving to att?
One thread is all that is necessary. Your other thread was reported as a duplicate.

Did you take photos of the phone in the sealed box prior to sending it?

adjusterjack

i bought it from auction
That might be your problem. You take a big risk buying electronics from an auction.

which was still sealed in box, not activated yet
How do you know? Did you take it out, examine it, charge it up to make sure that it powered up?

The how is explained by the did.

Before I believed that, I'd be more inclined to believe that you were scammed either by the auction company or wherever the auction company got the phone from.

I have filed complaint with attorney general in IL ( IL is the address on page 1 of my monthly bill ) and BBB.org.
Unlikely to get any help there.

Sure.

what can we consumer do in the future for trade in, we have to physically carry the phone to att store and drop there and video taping everything to make sure it's still good condition when giving to att?
You could do that.

quantcook

That might be your problem. You take a big risk buying electronics from an auction.
That's not risk, I used the phone for 3 months and it's a good phone

How do you know? Did you take it out, examine it, charge it up to make sure that it powered up?
I used the Phone for 3 months no issue

The how is explained by the did.

Before I believed that, I'd be more inclined to believe that you were scammed either by the auction company or wherever the auction company got the phone from.

Not the case

Unlikely to get any help there.

Sure.

You could do that.
Where can I sue att? Local in my county or have to file it in their headquarter state ?

Then I have the right to request they give me the phone back right? If it turned out to be mint condition ......
You can request anything you want. But you will need to look at the terms and conditions of the trade-in program to determine if they are obligated to return your phone to you upon request.

quantcook

We have always gone in person to trade in our phones.
Lesson learned ! Never thought thru can be so careless and trustworthiness
Nevertheless, att said today they will Gove me credit , don't know if it's they realized their mistake or because my long history with them. Hope they won't change ge again next month

Last edited:

Just Blue

Nevertheless, att said today they will Gove me credit , don't know if it's they realized they (*edited due to foul language) mess* up or because my long history with them. Hope they won't change ge again next month
Please don't use filthy language. Read the TOS of this site.

quincy

Nevertheless, att said today they will Gove me credit , don't know if it's they realized their mistake or because my long history with them. Hope they won't change ge again next month
It sounds like everything worked out well for you. That’s nice.

But, yes, going in person to trade in a phone is generally better. The phone remains under your control whereas when sending it off through the mail, there is no telling what can happen to it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">