• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Birth year in DL#

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

STEPHAN

Is it correct that the birth year is always part of the driver's license number?

I know it is in FL, but how in other states?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In Massachusetts, there is no connection between my year of birth and my drivers license number. However, my actual date of birth appears on the DL, though separately from the DL number.

Last edited:

STEPHAN

I found a website that extracts the full date from a FL DL number.

(Applicant tried to rent with a wrong birth date, so we do not find his probation. But he gave us the correct FL DL number.)

bcr229

In WV there is no connection to the DOB and DL number, but the DL expiration date is on your birthday when your age is divisible by five. So, if you were born in 1950, 1955, 1960, 1965, 1970, 1975, etc. then your DL would expire in 2025.

I found a website that extracts the full date from a FL DL number.

(Applicant tried to rent with a wrong birth date, so we do not find his probation. But he gave us the correct FL DL number.)
So... I'll assume application denied.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Is it correct that the birth year is always part of the driver's license number?

I know it is in FL, but how in other states?
No. It varies by state. In my current state, it is not part of the DL number, but the birth date is expressly stated on the DL. The DL or state ID card must have some way to show DOB as those are the primary identification documents people use in the US and a lot of things are dependent on your age, like the ability to buy cigarettes, alcohol, etc. Note that for a state license or ID care to be REAL ID compliant it MUST explicitly show your DOB. Furthermore, the DL must be unique and must not be simply your SSN. 6 CFR § 37.17. REAL ID refers to the federal requirements for licenses/ID cards that the federal government will allow for use in entering federal property or federal government controlled areas, like TSA check points at airports, entry into Federal Courthouses, and entry to other federal facilities. States now have until May 3, 2023 to offer licenses/ID cards that are REAL ID compliant. After that date, if you don't have a REAL ID compliant license, you'll have problems flying on airplanes and getting into many federal facilities/controlled areas. You can determine if your license is REAL ID compliant from the DHS REAL home page.

STEPHAN

So... I'll assume application denied.
Yes, but the same day we got an application with a totally fake ID. Even sent us a picture of the ID. What is going on? Called the police but they were not interested. We found a fresh eviction under that fake ID, so there was even damage done.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
California here- no apparent correlation.
Anecdotally.... When I lived in Ca many moons ago, my DL had the wrong birth year on it - made me 10 years older. I didn't realize until the following incident (and I was actually of-age)...

I went to the store to get a few things. Amongst them were a bottle of wine and some Oil of Olay (back in the day, it was supposed to make you look younger; I just found it to be a nice, light moisturizer)... Cashier asked for ID, which I provided. She looked at me all wide-eyed and said "Wow! This stuff really works!" LOL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">