• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Employer Void Bonus Pay in a Layoff (California)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stratuspei

What is the name of your state? California

My employer, a multi-national corporation with more than 5000 employees worldwide, notified me and several colleagues that we will be laid off at a future date. I have an existing agreement for receiving anniversary retention bonus that is based simply on staying with my employer. My last employment date comes after my upcoming anniversary. I was informed verbally that my anniversary bonus is voided because of the severance pay I will receive for being laid off.

Can my employer void the bonus for the reason mentioned?

The existing bonus program was not mentioned in the termination agreement, which I have not signed yet.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That depends entirely on the terms of the bonus agreement. This is not a question determined by law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">